Connect with WABA
- West End Bakery Cookbook Launch Party
- Shop West Asheville and Holiday Wrap Party, December 13
- Holiday Window Decorating Contest
- Short Street Cakes Throws 6th Annual Cakesgiving Cake Sale
- Craven Street Improvement Project Moves to Next Phase
- Frugal Backpacker Grand Opening
- Frugal Backpacker
- Get It, Kitten! Grand Opening Shindig
Category Archives: Meetings and Events
Saturday, December 13, 2014 #shopwavl will also include a…
Holiday Wrap Party
Urban Orchard Cider Company and Bar
…where the winners of the Holiday Decorating Contest will be announced.
At the #wavlwrapparty a table staffed by volunteers from Asheville FM will be available to wrap your gifts for tips.
There will also be raffle/door prizes, and they are really good. Everyone who attends the Wrap Party is entered. For extra chances, show us a receipt dated 12/13/2014 from one of our West Asheville businesses!
- For a list of specials and a map to guide you, please visit http://onhaywood.com/eventcategory/shop-wavl-december-13/
- Online voting is open through 5:30pm, December 13, 2014 for Community Choice Holiday Window Decorations: http://onhaywood.com/eventcategory/holiday-window-decorating-contest/
Come celebrate the holidays with us, show off your purchases, have them gift wrapped and raise a glass to continued success in the New Year.
Thank you for supporting our amazing small businesses.
UPDATE: DEADLINE EXTENDED – Sign Up to Participate and have your window ready for viewing by end of day, WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 3, 2014.
YES, the Holiday Window Decorating Contest is back!
Do you remember any of these entries from way back in 2004?
Ready to participate this year!?! It is easy.
- Fill in the form below so we know where to direct judges.
- Have you window decorations up by end of the day on Monday, December 3, 2014.
- Leave decorations up until at least December 14, although we’d love to see decorations staying up throughout the entire month.
That is it.
- Theme: The theme for your window decorations is up to you – be creative!
- Visibility: Entries must be visible from a public street.
- Eligibility: Your business or organization is located in West Asheville (west of the French Broad River, inside City of Asheville limits). You do not need to be a WABA member, although we encourage you to join. (Online membership form can be found here.)
- Judging: A panel of judges will determine winners. All locations will be visited on or before December 13, 2014. Our judges include a celebrity panel of West Ashevillains:
- Dr. Gordon Grant, Principal of Hall Fletcher Elementary
- Hosea Jackson, Proprietor at HAYWOOD LOUNGE
- City Councilman Gordon Smith
- Sky Clean Inc. Owner Heather Brooks
- Terra Marshall, Proprietress at Beauty Parade!
- Prizes: Winning windows will be announced at our Shop West Asheville wrap party the evening of December 13, 2014 at Urban Orchard. Additional information on Shop West Asheville day and wrap party will be posted soon.
Join the facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/300699460136790 – share with others!
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
4:30 – 6:00 pm
The Hop Ice Creamery
The Hop West location has just turned four and soon will have a new sibling, The Hop Ice Creamery. We love to see local small businesses growing and know many of you are excited to see inside this new production space.
Please join us on Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at The Hop Ice Creamery to celebrate this new addition to The Hop family.
The Hop Ice Creamery is located on Haywood Road as you head down the hill towards the River Arts District, across from Wamboldt Avenue and Hole Doughnuts.
“WABA Wednesday” is an initiative of the West Asheville Business Association (WABA) to highlight new and growing businesses in our area, celebrate our small business community and introduce more customers to our West Asheville businesses.
Please join us for WABA Wednesday in October to learn more about Wishbone Tiny Homes.
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
4:30 – 6:00 pm
Wishbone Tiny Homes – 355 Haywood Road
Wishbone Tiny Homes is a family owned and operated NC General Contracting company focused on meeting the diverse needs of the next generation home buyer. Their mission is to make the dream of home ownership a reality for more people by handcrafting versatile dwellings on a scale that reflects the economic and environmental sensibilities of the next generation home buyer.
Gerry and Teal Brown have been working together since 1981. Their first tiny home was built in 2001 in Asheville, NC. At 400 sq’ this timber-framed cottage has served as a primary residence, a wedding venue, and a rental. Currently this father and son team are focused on building portable tiny homes ranging from 150 sq’ to 200 sq’, but build larger, permanently fixed tiny homes up to 1000 sq’ as well. Prices for portable homes start around $25,000.
Please RSVP below, so we make sure to have enough breakfast for all.
WABA is once again partnering with Asheville GreenWorks and local businesses to host a Haywood Road Clean Up Day.
Haywood Road Fall Clean Up Day
Date: Saturday, September 20, 2014
Time: 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
Start: Westville Pub, 777 Haywood Road
Meet up at the Westville Pub at 10:00 am for breakfast, then we’ll get out to pick up trash and recycling along Haywood Road towards Patton Avenue. If we get enough folks out we’ll make that goal and more!
This is a partnership project with Asheville GreenWorks who will provide safety vests, collection bags, some gloves and tools. We encourage you to bring gloves, small brooms/dustpans and shovels if you have them.
Breakfast Provided by:
- Westville Pub
- West End Bakery
- Asheville Sandwich Co.
- West Village Market & Deli
- Sunny Point Café
- Bean Werks
Post clean up beverage sponsored by Oyster House Brewing.
In conjunction with our Fall Clean Up Day, City of Asheville crews will be street sweeping Haywood Road.
Please refrain from parking along Haywood Road overnight September 18.
Street sweeping will occur between
3:00-6:00 am the morning of Friday, September 19, 2014.