Connect with WABA
- West End Bakery Cookbook Launch Party
- Shop West Asheville and Holiday Wrap Party, December 13
- Holiday Window Decorating Contest
- Short Street Cakes Throws 6th Annual Cakesgiving Cake Sale
- Craven Street Improvement Project Moves to Next Phase
- Frugal Backpacker Grand Opening
- Frugal Backpacker
- Get It, Kitten! Grand Opening Shindig
Category Archives: West Asheville News
On Friday December 12th 7-9pm at West End Bakery in West Asheville Cathy Cleary will host the launch of her cookbook “The West End Bakery Cookbook.” Over 75 of Cleary’s original recipes that are West End favorites are included, and will be on sale for $19.99 plus tax. Recipes celebrate farm fresh food, collaborating with friends and building community.
Complimentary hors d’oeuvres will be served highlighting recipes from the cookbook.
A percentage of the proceeds from the sale of the book will go to FEAST a local non-profit teaching cooking and gardening classes to kids. FEAST uses fresh fruits and vegetables to make nutritious meals and snacks giving kids skills that they will use throughout their lives to improve their overall health.
Cleary and her business partner opened the West End Bakery and Café in 2001. Since then it has become known for great food and community activism. Today the bakery continues to be a meeting place for friends old and new. The food is always made from scratch by talented bakers and chefs, local artwork hangs on the walls, freshly roasted coffee brews, local farmers bring in their produce, eggs, and meat, and everyone is welcome!
For more information email email@example.com or call 828-545-1295
Saturday, December 13, 2014 #shopwavl will also include a…
Holiday Wrap Party
Urban Orchard Cider Company and Bar
…where the winners of the Holiday Decorating Contest will be announced.
At the #wavlwrapparty a table staffed by volunteers from Asheville FM will be available to wrap your gifts for tips.
There will also be raffle/door prizes, and they are really good. Everyone who attends the Wrap Party is entered. For extra chances, show us a receipt dated 12/13/2014 from one of our West Asheville businesses!
- For a list of specials and a map to guide you, please visit http://onhaywood.com/eventcategory/shop-wavl-december-13/
- Online voting is open through 5:30pm, December 13, 2014 for Community Choice Holiday Window Decorations: http://onhaywood.com/eventcategory/holiday-window-decorating-contest/
Come celebrate the holidays with us, show off your purchases, have them gift wrapped and raise a glass to continued success in the New Year.
Thank you for supporting our amazing small businesses.
UPDATE: DEADLINE EXTENDED – Sign Up to Participate and have your window ready for viewing by end of day, WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 3, 2014.
YES, the Holiday Window Decorating Contest is back!
Do you remember any of these entries from way back in 2004?
Ready to participate this year!?! It is easy.
- Fill in the form below so we know where to direct judges.
- Have you window decorations up by end of the day on Monday, December 3, 2014.
- Leave decorations up until at least December 14, although we’d love to see decorations staying up throughout the entire month.
That is it.
- Theme: The theme for your window decorations is up to you – be creative!
- Visibility: Entries must be visible from a public street.
- Eligibility: Your business or organization is located in West Asheville (west of the French Broad River, inside City of Asheville limits). You do not need to be a WABA member, although we encourage you to join. (Online membership form can be found here.)
- Judging: A panel of judges will determine winners. All locations will be visited on or before December 13, 2014. Our judges include a celebrity panel of West Ashevillains:
- Dr. Gordon Grant, Principal of Hall Fletcher Elementary
- Hosea Jackson, Proprietor at HAYWOOD LOUNGE
- City Councilman Gordon Smith
- Sky Clean Inc. Owner Heather Brooks
- Terra Marshall, Proprietress at Beauty Parade!
- Prizes: Winning windows will be announced at our Shop West Asheville wrap party the evening of December 13, 2014 at Urban Orchard. Additional information on Shop West Asheville day and wrap party will be posted soon.
Join the facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/300699460136790 – share with others!
From Friday, November 21 through Thanksgiving Eve, Wednesday, November 26th, Short Street Cakes will host their sixth annual Cakesgiving Cake Sale. Cakesgiving features five of the best-loved cake flavors at a reduced price and available for pick up without an advance order. Dozens of Medium-Sized (2-layer 8″) Italian Cream Cake, Strawberry Short Street, Fresh Apple Caramel Cakes, Sweet Potato Spice Cakes, and Gluten Free Vegan Mexican Chocolate Cakes will be on hand every day during Thanksgiving Week, on sale at $29 apiece. The Cake Shop’s regular menu will also be available, at regular prices, with the regular minimum two days’ notice.
Short Street Cakes will also again be offering house-made, handmade pies for Thanksgiving by advance order only. Orders can be placed by phone or in person at the Cake Shop, with two days’ advance notice. Pie Flavors include: Blueberry Poppy Seed, Cherry Orange, Cranberry Orange, Caramel Apple, Ginger Pear, Bourbon Peach, Strawberry Rhubarb, Blackberry Cardamom, Sweet Potato Spice, Pumpkin Custard, Classic Pecan, Lemon Meringue, French Chocolate Silk, Key Lime, Banana Cream, and Coconut Cream. All 9” pies are $24. Gluten-free crust can be substituted upon request for an additional $2.
Short Street Cakes is also offering the now-classic PieCake (a whole pie baked inside a whole cake)! Guests can choose between Pecan Pie inside Sweet Potato Cake, Blueberry Pie inside Lemon Pound Cake, or Apple Pie inside Vanilla Pound Cake. Customers are asked to give 3 days’ notice when ordering Piecake. For more info about Piecake, please go to: http://shortstreetcakes.com/2012/11/04/piecake-the-turducken-of-dessert/.
Frugal Backpacker has moved to the Westgate Shopping Center!
Stop by on Friday, November 14, 2014, from 4 pm to 8pm to celebrate their grand opening. There will be a ribbon cutting at 5:30 pm. The event will also feature live reggae music, give-aways to the first 200 people, food from Earth Fare and Green Sage, and raffles.
Monday-Saturday 10am – 7pm
Sunday 12pm – 6pm