- Holiday Window Decorating Contest
Monday, December 1, 2014
From open to close.
- Holiday Window Decorating Contest
Connect with WABA
- Short Street Cakes Throws 6th Annual Cakesgiving Cake Sale
- Craven Street Improvement Project Moves to Next Phase
- Frugal Backpacker Grand Opening
- Frugal Backpacker
- Get It, Kitten! Grand Opening Shindig
- Get It, Kitten
- NBB Updates: Hiring Couple Positions
- City begins next phase in 123 Graffiti Free initiative
Category Archives: West Asheville News
From Friday, November 21 through Thanksgiving Eve, Wednesday, November 26th, Short Street Cakes will host their sixth annual Cakesgiving Cake Sale. Cakesgiving features five of the best-loved cake flavors at a reduced price and available for pick up without an advance order. Dozens of Medium-Sized (2-layer 8″) Italian Cream Cake, Strawberry Short Street, Fresh Apple Caramel Cakes, Sweet Potato Spice Cakes, and Gluten Free Vegan Mexican Chocolate Cakes will be on hand every day during Thanksgiving Week, on sale at $29 apiece. The Cake Shop’s regular menu will also be available, at regular prices, with the regular minimum two days’ notice.
Short Street Cakes will also again be offering house-made, handmade pies for Thanksgiving by advance order only. Orders can be placed by phone or in person at the Cake Shop, with two days’ advance notice. Pie Flavors include: Blueberry Poppy Seed, Cherry Orange, Cranberry Orange, Caramel Apple, Ginger Pear, Bourbon Peach, Strawberry Rhubarb, Blackberry Cardamom, Sweet Potato Spice, Pumpkin Custard, Classic Pecan, Lemon Meringue, French Chocolate Silk, Key Lime, Banana Cream, and Coconut Cream. All 9” pies are $24. Gluten-free crust can be substituted upon request for an additional $2.
Short Street Cakes is also offering the now-classic PieCake (a whole pie baked inside a whole cake)! Guests can choose between Pecan Pie inside Sweet Potato Cake, Blueberry Pie inside Lemon Pound Cake, or Apple Pie inside Vanilla Pound Cake. Customers are asked to give 3 days’ notice when ordering Piecake. For more info about Piecake, please go to: http://shortstreetcakes.com/2012/11/04/piecake-the-turducken-of-dessert/.
Frugal Backpacker has moved to the Westgate Shopping Center!
Stop by on Friday, November 14, 2014, from 4 pm to 8pm to celebrate their grand opening. There will be a ribbon cutting at 5:30 pm. The event will also feature live reggae music, give-aways to the first 200 people, food from Earth Fare and Green Sage, and raffles.
Monday-Saturday 10am – 7pm
Sunday 12pm – 6pm
Saturday, November 15 at 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Come shop and enjoy hors d’oeuvres, libations, live music, and discounts!
Get It, Kitten
428-C Haywood Road
West Asheville, North Carolina 28806
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
4:30 – 6:00 pm
The Hop Ice Creamery
The Hop West location has just turned four and soon will have a new sibling, The Hop Ice Creamery. We love to see local small businesses growing and know many of you are excited to see inside this new production space.
Please join us on Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at The Hop Ice Creamery to celebrate this new addition to The Hop family.
The Hop Ice Creamery is located on Haywood Road as you head down the hill towards the River Arts District, across from Wamboldt Avenue and Hole Doughnuts.
“WABA Wednesday” is an initiative of the West Asheville Business Association (WABA) to highlight new and growing businesses in our area, celebrate our small business community and introduce more customers to our West Asheville businesses.
YES, the Holiday Window Decorating Contest is back!
Do you remember any of these entries from way back in 2004?
Ready to participate this year!?! It is easy.
- Fill in the form below so we know where to direct judges.
- Have you window decorations up by end of the day on Monday, December 1, 2014.
- Leave decorations up until at least December 14, although we’d love to see decorations staying up throughout the entire month.
That is it.
- Theme: The theme for your window decorations is up to you – be creative!
- Visibility: Entries must be visible from a public street.
- Eligibility: Your business or organization is located in West Asheville (west of the French Broad River, inside City of Asheville limits). You do not need to be a WABA member, although we encourage you to join. (Online membership form can be found here.)
- Judging: A panel of judges will determine winners. All locations will be visited on or before December 13, 2014. Our judges include a celebrity panel of West Ashevillains:
- Dr. Gordon Grant, Principal of Hall Fletcher Elementary
- Hosea Jackson, Proprietor at HAYWOOD LOUNGE
- City Councilman Gordon Smith
- Sky Clean Inc. Owner Heather Brooks
- Terra Marshall, Proprietress at Beauty Parade!
- Prizes: Winning windows will be announced at our Shop West Asheville wrap party the evening of December 13, 2014 at Urban Orchard. Additional information on Shop West Asheville day and wrap party will be posted soon.
Join the facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/300699460136790 – share with others!